Who We Are
The Scientific Boating Safety Association (SBSA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to facilitating safe boating practices and to minimize accidental injury among those using boats for research and training. To meet this mission, SBSA members provide or make available initial training and refresher courses, share expertise, advice and recommendations, formulate guidelines and procedures, and publish a safety manual with appendices for local areas. Our goal is to ensure that scientific boating is conducted in a safe and effective manner.
2016 SBSA Business Meeting & Boat Operator Training Course Below are updates for the SBSA meeting Oregon State University will be hosting this December in Newport, OR.
- Dates: SBSA meeting Dec. 5-6 and MOTC. Dec. 7-9.
- Sign-up: Please sign-up on the google-docs sheet by October 24th if you are planning on attending. sign up sheet
- Remote Access: We will have Remote Access available and we added a column on the spreadsheet if you are interested:
- Conference Fee: We are working on this but we plan to keep the food/dinner and meeting space cost less <$100 per attendee (coffee, lunch, afternoon snack, and the group banquet).
- Hotel Info: Hotel Is Elizabeth Street Inn (elizabethstreetinn.com) and room block is “SBSA” at $97/night. Contact 541-265-9400 for reservations. .
- Motorboat Operator Training Course (MOTC): Cost: <$250 (student materials, lunches, coffee). BSOs who have not had an opportunity to participate in a MOTC or Instructor course may audit the class and attend special sessions on training materials and methods.
Please contact Kevin Buch (Kevin.Buch@oregonstate.edu) and Henry Fastenau (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions & more info to come about the details/cost
Scientific boaters and educators not affiliated with an Organizational Member as well as those with research boating experience now have a say in national scientific boating policy.
Membership is $25/year. Individual Members do have a vote in SBSA policy and BoD elections. Click here for the application form
With an Organizational membership base encompassing the entire United States, the SBSA is the largest, most influential scientific non-profit boating organization in the world. SBSA has achieved it’s prominent position through effective advocacy enlightened leadership, technical competence and hard work.
For more information on becoming a member, please contact the Scientific Boating Safety Association.